Monday, September 20, 2010

Grandpa's Goodbye...

Thursday, September 16th my Grandfather passed away at 82 years of age.

Today, September 20th, we lay him to rest.

There are many memories that I will carry from this day forward.

He was a avid fisherman. We would go camping as kids and he would take us out on his boat for fishing and chasing "bull gators" (inside family joke). With that, I have placed a "bull gator" in his casket to watch over him.

Here is Grandpa and the Bull Gator:


We would go to the lakes just about every weekend growing up and he'd love taking us skiing or hydro sliding. Just being on the water and in his boat was his passion.

When I was little and so sick and always in the hospital, he couldn't wait to come over and help take care of me and push me around in the wheelchair.

Grandpa served our country and passed that on to his son and to my brother.

The flag honoring Grandpa for his service:


He was proud of me the day the I started working at our local Sheriff's Dept while I was still in high school.

He loved dancing with my Grandma and listening to music.

When I was younger, he would take me over to New Hope, a nursing home in Avon Park and he and a band would play music for the residents to help lift their spirits and I can remember dancing in the aisle.




He was crafty and made me a crib for my baby dolls..which sadly has been misplaced during several moves.

Grandpa loved to wear flannel shirts during the winter and plaid shirts during the summer. He was always in one or the other and a ball cap. Very rarely did I see him without a hat on.

Here are some of the family gathering at the service today to say their goodbyes:




Papa Pat and Kyler..they were matching:


Grandpa's final wave goodbye.
This was a picture taken of him at the lakes watching a sunset with Grandma and waving as she took the picture. It was beautiful and they placed it at the service:


After the service, the family got together and had a late lunch / early dinner at one of the lakes we used to go to and swim, fish, ski, BBQ and play on the playground and we even would go on 4th of July and watch fireworks. It was great to reminisce and talk with everyone. I'm just sorry that it had to be on these circumstances.

I would like to offer a Big Thank you to my Mom and my Aunt Sandy for all they did...the food, the gathering of everyone, the poster boards and reading Grandma's poems, the flowers, everything overall....it was a great service and I know your Daddy would be proud of you both for all that you have done on this day in his honor.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry about the loss of your grandfather. It seems as if your family honored and remembered him well. Be blessed in the days and weeks ahead and let your sweet memories of him comfort your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. We all seem to be holding strong as we know he is in a better place. And we will be together again soon.

    ReplyDelete