Friday, April 8, 2011

Dr. Appointment

My poor lil man has been suffering from his ear infections one right after the other since January. He has been put on different antibiotics (one of which we found him to be allergic to) and they weren't working. So he had been getting injections..he had 4 thus far and the doctor thinks he may need more. Well seeing the terror in my sons eyes each time we have to walk into a doctors office (and now any business office at that because he's in terror its another doctor going to give him a shot), I've decided NO more. Since it seems the shot only clears the ear infection up for 2-3 days max and then the infection is back.



At our last visit I was just about to ask the doctor for an ENT referral when he told me he was referring us to one.. WHEW a sigh of relieve came out of me... and ever better that I didn't have to ask or demand one!



We met with Dr. McKenna yesterday and at first he said...his ears aren't infected now (thanks to the shots 2 days prior) but they are impacted with fluid so we'll just monitor him and see if he gets any more ear infections. My first thought was what, wait, you're not the one who keeps getting these ear infections and are in so much pain and you're not the one who is up with a screaming child 3-4 hours a night when he has them because laying down bothers him so bad and there's nothing anyone can do but hold him and drug him with Tylenol (which I HATE doing every night). And as I'm thinking this...he decided to send Kyler down for a hearing test...



Turns out, Kyler's inner ear and outer ear are good...however, his middle ear is damaged and he has sustained some hearing loss. Now we don't know to what extent at this time. They took a picture of his ear drum, but until they are able to surgically enter the ear and see they aren't sure if he'll be able to recover from the damage or if he'll regain any hearing. This is in both ears mind you. So I wanted to cry for him. The doctor did tell me that his speech should clear up after the surgery and they will be inserting tubes to help with the infections. He did say that he could possibly get infections still but since the tubes, it will automatically drain and release any pressure..that I like.. means my baby wont be hurting.



He will be having the surgery on Wednesday, April 20th and I am asking for any and all prayers. The Dr. said that most likely he will not have to do an IV in him and should be able to put him to sleep via mask. I know that he will pretty much sleep the remainder of the day. It's supposed to be an out patient procedure and we'll find out what time and where at the day before. He has two surgical offices that he uses (no hospital--not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing, but I'm going with positive)! I'll post an update once he's out and good!

~~Side Note~~ I know the pictures don't really have anything to do with Dr's appointment, but, I couldn't not post them or any other pictures of him for that matter --HA! It just makes the blog worth reading if his handsome face is in there somewhere. The first two of him in the yellow shirt were taken the day he got his hair cut. He wasn't feeling so well and was fighting another fever. But since I have been missing a lot of work and he NEEDED a hair cut, I took him while we were out running errands. He likes when the girl gives him a Mohawk, so she did it to help make him feel better. He thinks he's something you can tell by the way he touches it and smiles and looks at himself in the mirror. The ones of him in the red shirt were taken the very next day and was Mommy's first attempt of a Mohawk. I didn't have the gel, so I used mouse and hairspray and of coarse it was crooked, but overall I think it came out pretty good. And since we were on our way to see the ENT, I had to do something before making him walk into another doctors office. He kept saying "bye-bye" the entire time we were there. It was too cute and sad all in the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment