Friday, April 22, 2011

Post Surgery Update

We took Kyler in for his surgery on Wednesday. We had to be there at 6:00 am...for what reason I have NO clue. We got there and the office wasn't technically open yet. The office manager (or whatever her title was) didn't have the lights on, the computers weren't on, she was just making the coffee.. so after sitting there for 45 minutes while she "prepared" the office, she handed me a form and said ok I can collect your co-pay now and take a copy of your DL and Insurance Card (one of which they have copied 500 times already in two weeks).

So it comes time to take Kyler to the back in the pre-op room. I'm thinking great, now we're talking...only to have us sit in the back for another 30 minutes watching Thomas the Train to "occupy" him while we wait on both the doctor doing the surgery and the anesthesiologist. So if you know my son, he has developed a HATE for doctors offices because the last few times he's had to go to one, they have given him shots for his ears. He had to sit back there and watch every one of the nurses come in and out of the pre-op room a gazillion times while in their scrubs and hair in their surgical hat and watch them while they prepared all their instruments.

This was complete torture for him... can you tell? And they say that is a peachy / orange gown..not pink (if that makes a difference).


So by the time the doctors FINALLY made it in there, we had JUST gotten him calmed down when the anesthesiologist comes in and takes him from me. We heard him scream from our door to the OR door (directly across the hall) and he was OUT!.. Guess him taking the deeps breaths while crying helped with the mask knocking him out. Chris and I were advised to go back to the lobby and we did just a few short steps away. I went outside and called my mom to tell her he just went back. I walked back in the office and fixed myself a cup of coffee (since I am doing this off of about 2 hours of sleep since I got off of work just a few hours before) and went and sat next to Chris. I was just getting ready to take my first sip of coffee when I heard.. parents here for Kyler, come on back. It literally was so quick my head was spinning and all I could think of was oh God, what went wrong?.

We get to the back and Kyler was screaming something fierce. He did NOT like the anesthesia. He was trying to stand and climb out of the crib, but couldn't get his bearings. The nurse was trying to go over the paperwork with me and Kyler wanted me to hold him during all this time. Chris was trying to handle him and get him dressed and needed help but the nurse wanted me to complete the discharge papers instead of consuling a screaming child. The doctor didn't even come out and talk to us to tell us how everything went. It was a complete whirl wind. I am not happy with the whole outcome and will be letting them know but not until after his follow up in two weeks when I know everything is fine and he doesn't have to come back in for another surgery.

He screamed the whole way home which killed me because there was nothing I could do for him and nothing made him happy. He was just miserable. So I'm thinking between the anesthesia, the Tylenol and all that screaming /crying, he will go home and want to do nothing but sleep..HA! Yeah right. My kid was bouncing..off..the..walls the rest of the day.

I guess that is better than him being in pain. But wow! Here's a little video of him dancing:


As we were at the dinner table, he kept laying his head down. So I took him in and gave him a bath..SUCCESSFUL with no water in the ears! Then I rocked him and he was asleep in record time. He slept a full 11 hours that night. Every time I would go in and check on him, he was in the same position I laid him down in. Then when he got up the next morning he came running into our room and I could hear the pitter patters of his feet hit the wood floor. Next I heard "uhh" as he's standing there staring at me wanting me to pick him up. It was too adorable. He now runs to our room every morning for snuggle time. I LOVE it!

This morning I heard him come in but by the time I rolled over, he wasn't there. So I got up to go find him and he was laying on the dog bed with Kady. So sweet (and yes, she actually was sharing).

Another video of him dancing the day of his surgery:


I don't know why the videos are showing sideways as they were not taken sideways. Maybe it's the anesthetics. HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment